Raisa Fernandez, a senior computer science major who works in the library, was named Niagara University’s Student Employee of the Year at an awards ceremony held on Friday, April 1, 2011 in the Heritage Room of Clet Hall. Fernandez was selected for the honor over 28 other student employees who were nominated for the award by university employees in their sector. She will now join award winners from other area colleges and universities at a special ceremony in their honor at a date and time to be announced.
The selection committee for this year’s award consisted of Michael Beam, Curator of Collection and Exhibitions in Niagara’s Theatre and Fine Arts Department, Stephanie Currie, Assistant Director of the Academic Exploration Program, and Michele Gansworth, Administrative Assistant to the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs.
Dr. Kevin Hearn, Niagara’s Vice President for Student Life, and Robert Swanson, Associate Director of Career Services, spoke during the awards ceremony while the Rev. Patrick Zengierski, Ph.D., Assistant to the Executive Vice President for Student Outreach & Support, provided the invocation.
Other nominees for the 2011 Student of the Year Award:
- Julie Alemdinger, Office of Information Technology
- Christina Antonelli, Psychology Department
- Corrine Barlett, Health Services
- Katherine Billingsley, Psychology Department
- Eddie Busha, Learn & Serve Niagara
- Brittany Cunningham, University Housing
- Juliana Donner, Office of Academic Support
- Meredith Eggert, Psychology Department
- Maria Fanto, College of Hospitality & Tourism Management
- Sean Fitzgerald, Dept. of Modern & Classical Languages and Mathematics
- Sheila Gallegos, Office of Career Services
- Becky Gworek, Office of Academic Support
- Rebecca Hensley, College of Education
- Claire Hogan, Psychology Department
- Megan Hoover, Office of Admissions & Enrollment Management
- Victoria Iacubucci, Kiernan Center
- Aaron Ingersoll, Library
- Clara Kuntz, Gerontology Program
- Celestine McGill, Library
- Alexandra Peters, Psychology Department
- Drake Phillips, Dept. of Modern & Classical Languages and Mathematics
- Jay Rank, Athletic Office
- Jacqueline Seibt, Sociology Department
- Ashley Shufelt, Student Life
- Louie Spina, Athletic Office
- Sarah Swift, Library
- Jacob Vivian, Office of Institutional Advancement
- Brandi Whytas, Department of Philosophy / Communication Studies
The annual event is sponsored by Niagara University’s Office of Career Services.
To view more photos from the event, visit Niagara University’s Facebook page.